Improving user experience is part art and part science. This talk will focus on the science aspect.
Making data driven decisions for a website involves:
- Tracking all user actions along with contextual variables
- Identifying gaps in the experience, or opportunities, by look at the tracked data
- Coming up with a list of hypotheses around possible reasons for the gaps
- Figuring ways to validate the hypotheses and narrowing the list down
- Releasing features or UX improvements to address the gaps
- Isolating and measuring the impact of these features or improvements
- Letting the fittest features or improvements survive, and iterating this process
We'll explore each of these steps in detail, along with relevant examples during the talk.